Saturday 21 February 2009

Poetry

a selection by Carol Ann Duffy:

  • Mrs Beast (from The World's Wife)
  • Anon (from Feminine Gospels)
  • Kipling (from Answering Back)

  • As part of my reading of new (to me) poetry (mentioned ages ago), I've acquired three books by Duffy, staple of GCSE and A-Level English lit and beloved by critics. This is thanks to the ever-wonderful Book People, who offered this selection of three books for a total cost lower than buying one individually. Hurrah for the Book People!

    The main reason I bought it was for the highly intriguingAnswering Back collection, in which 50 poets have written new poems in response to classics (though don't expect to have actually heard of a great deal of the new authors or that many of the 'classic' poems). Duffy's Kipling is in answer to the Nation's Favourite Poem, If--... and isn't even close to being as good, or as memorable. Anon, on the other hand, is a much better piece on a famous poetry author.

    These few are ones I've read as a randomish initial selection; I'll be reading the collections in full later.

    No comments: