Saturday 21 June 2008

Films

CutThroat Island (1995)
[2nd watch]
I first (and last, to my memory) saw CutThroat Island on its original release in 1995, in a cinema that we don't go anywhere near now -- because it's absolutely miles away! Goodness knows why we even went there then, but I suspect it was the only place still showing the film and, at that time, I would still have been obsessed with Lego Pirates and Monkey Island (in many ways I still am) and therefore desperate to see any new cool-looking piratey film. Back then I thought it was utterly brilliant, of course; 13 years on and it's clear that, spectacular action sequences aside, most of the film's production values (script, acting, direction, make-up, design...) are at cheap US TV movie levels. It's not all a loss though, as there's still fun to be had -- mainly, it's a joy to see real stunts done by real people in real situations, considering that a modern film's idea of a "real stunt" is having a real person doing something in front of a green screen. Some times, the old days really were better.

No comments: