Tuesday 5 May 2009

Mad Men 2x12: The Mountain King

Bloody brilliant! This is why Mad Men wins BAFTAs, Emmys and Golden Globes, and deserves every last one.

I was surprised The Wire didn't take the BAFTA this year, but Mad Men is a long, long way from being an unjustifiable choice. In fact, it pulls many of the same high-quality tricks as The Wire (this episode, for example, explains a mystery from way back in episode one that hasn't even been alluded to since, and does so in a way that may even go unnoticed by most viewers), but I suspect that the lack of semi-comprehensible 'different culture' ghetto dialogue and storylines holds it back from the intellectual praise places like The Guardian heap on that other series because those writers can't sit around being proud they "get it" even though it's not their culture.

(Cynical? Me? Never!)

I'm currently a week behind, so this season's final episode was shown on BBC Four this evening. I'll be getting round to it ASAP, though based on the first season I expect we'll have a cliffhanger to endure until the third season begins (in August in the US -- I hope we don't have to wait as long as we did for season two).

No comments: