Friday 20 November 2009

Channel 4's 3D Week - initial impressions

Having finally got hold of some appropriate 3D specs, I can finally begin to watch the bits of Channel 4's 3D week that I've been recording. This up first: Derren Brown Presents The 3D Magic Spectacular, a selection of (quelle surprise) magic tricks and illusions. Some are presented in 3D for good reason, others... well, just cos. Most are spectacular in one way or another, others impressive in themselves but rather obscured by the weak 3D effect (in particular, the man-escaping-from-a-sky-diving-cage one). As for a pair of 'play along at home' tricks (a pair of genuine ones, that is -- Derren's doesn't count), one thoroughly failed on me. Ho hum.

As for the 3D system chosen by C4... well, it's an anaglyph one, so of course it's far from perfect, but I also feel I've seen better examples -- I've watched a bit of Coraline in 3D on Blu-ray, for example, which uses a different system, and it seemed superior. The glasses I've got are also rather dark (they're not ones issued by C4 via Sainsbury's, though they are of the right type (ColorCode 3D), so their own might be better... but I wouldn't bet on it); luckily, I can whack up the backlight on my TV to compensate a bit.

Anyway -- this just goes to prove why anaglyph-based 3D films and TV have never really taken off. It remains to be seen if the new wave of supposedly-more-effective 3D that's on the way over the next few years (and already all over cinemas, of course) finally has any staying power.

1 comment:

dexter_fernando said...

Merhabalar... Yeni açılan sitemize desteklerinizi bekliyoruz... http://kanverevan.com bekleriz... Bağlantılarınızda bize de yer ayırın...