Friday 22 July 2011

Magazines

SFX Special Edition #51
The Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century

I don't know when this issue is/was released, but I'm a subscriber and my copy turned up today. It's rare I get round to reading much of any magazine I buy these days, and never (with the recent exception of 2000 AD) do I get round to reading all of it at any time... but I read all of this within one day!

Is it that good? No, it's that lightweight. It's 100 full-page (later on, double page) pictures, some of them incredibly poor copies (they're blocky and pixellated, like they've been badly compressed for the web), with teeny tiny articles to accompany them that won't tell you anything new about anything. Ouch.

And that's before we get onto the list itself -- hey, at least no one from Twilight turns up at any point. And that's not devoid from mistakes, either: apparently #6 is "Lanto Jones", who died in an episode written by James Moran. Oh dear.

To rub salt in the wound (sort of), they've decided to include a reader survey with this issue. One of the questions is about if the magazine represents value for money. Normally, I'd be happy to say it does, even if the specials are a bit overpriced these days. But for this edition? Definitely not. It's one completely lightweight article stretched out to a whole magazine... and they're asking £7.99 for it!

I feel like I've wasted part of my subscription.

No comments: