Saturday 22 October 2011

Magazines

New Empress Magazine #3

The latest issue of the quarterly small press film magazine feels practically tailor-made to my interests, with almost every article piquing my curiosity.

After the reviews (of which over half interest me before even reading), there's an interview with the director of the BBFC; an entry in their 'why I hate film' series about the brilliance of TV; pieces on Westerns, going to the cinema by yourself, and the noir cityscape of Blade Runner; retrospectives on Jurassic Park, Casablanca, Bhaji on the Beach, and why Bring It On is actually good; plus a look back at much-underrated miniseries The 10th Kingdom.

There's also an article entitled "How Blu-ray killed the classics", which is interesting even if I disagree with it almost entirely.

(There's other good stuff too, but those were the ones that particularly appealed to me.)

This issue can be ordered online here if you're in the UK. Back issues, subscriptions and internationally-shipping copies are also available from their store.

No comments: