Wednesday 16 November 2011

A daily dose of sci-fi - Day 3

Favourite sci-fi book/story

I don't read as much as I watch TV or films, certainly not these days, so this category is a bit tougher for me. A few different things spring to mind, especially once I started trying to think of a Proper Serious Book to nominate. But this is "favourite", so I went back round to my original thought...


It's a comedy sci-fi book, this is true, and so not as obviously Important as something like, say, The War of the Worlds or Dune (both of which I also loved). But as well as writing things that are really very funny indeed, Adams packs his text full of ideas and concepts, wittily explained. I mean, what is the titular guide if not an intergalactic Wikipedia on an iPad?

And this is from a novel (originally a radio series, true) written in 1979!

That's why, as well as for being really very funny indeed, Hitchhiker's deserves its place as a classic of the genre.


Read about a daily dose of sci-fi, with links to the rest of the series, here.

No comments: