Thursday 17 November 2011

A daily dose of sci-fi - Day 4

Best sci-fi heroine

I think this is the first day I've really struggled with, mainly because I kept thinking of fantasy heroines, for whatever reason. But sticking to a decidedly sci-fi universe, I'll choose...


She might not go round wielding huge weapons like a James Cameron or Joss Whedon heroine*, but -- much like the Doctor -- that's part of what makes Sarah Jane so amazing.

Over 30 years after her first appearance in a classic kids' TV series, she was given the starring role in her own kids' series, the lead hero. But she was a hero before that, too, being arguably the first sustainable modern female companion in Doctor Who (previous attempts at Independent Modern Women, like Liz Shaw, floundered and were dropped).

And that makes her an even better choice, because before she was the lead in her own series she wasn't just the Doctor's chum along for the ride, she was a hero in her own right.


Read about a daily dose of sci-fi, with links to the rest of the series, here.

* P.S. I apologise for dragging Whedon characters down to a Cameron level like that. It was wrong of me.

No comments: