Saturday 6 September 2008

Film News

Turns out there was a mass of interesting film news yesterday, when I didn't bother to read any. Here's the best bits:

Mark Strong Joins Sherlock Holmes by Glen Ferris
(from Empire Online)
Mark Strong's doing very well for himself these days. Following roles in Syriana, Sunshine and Stardust (I sense a pattern...), recent releases Babylon A.D. and RocknRolla, as well as forthcoming flicks Body of Lies and The Young Victoria, he'll be seen as a villain (not Moriarty) in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

Monster Of Florence Attracts Tom Cruise by Chris Hewitt
(from Empire Online)
My interest in this is heightened because it was a book I worked on promotion for while I was in New York recently. It sounds like a fantastic read too (I have a free copy, ha ha!), so hopefully it'll make a good film. Learn about the book here. No links for the film I'm afraid.

No Edge Of Darkness For Robert De Niro by Chris Hewitt
(from Empire Online)
Sounds like The Clashing of the Egos to me.

Raimi And Maguire Back For More Spideys by Chris Hewitt
(from Empire Online)
I'm not sure whether I'm surprised or, well, not. Better news than a second-rate director and C-list star trying to emulate the formula, though hopefully it'll be an improvement on Spider-Man 3. In all honesty I hold little hope -- the last one was weak, and other recent attempts at shooting a pair of sequels back-to-back (Matrix, Pirates) have led to worse films. Still, they do have the writer of Zodiac on board, and a 2011 release date for Spider-Man 4 suggests they're not rushing it.

Who You Gonna Call... Again? by Chris Hewitt
(from Empire Online)
Ghostbusters 3? With the original cast? Best. News. Ever. (Read the article for a somewhat deeper commentary on the news.)

No comments: