Wednesday 12 November 2008

Che in the UK

After all the coverage I've given it, I feel I should point out that the only real interest I have in Steven Soderbergh's two-part Che Guevera biopic is to do with the fuss surrounding whether it would be released and, if so, in how many parts. I don't share the common student's passing obsession with him -- or, rather, with the iconography of That T-Shirt.

Just so we're clear.

Anyway, it seems the UK release will be split in two, with Part One hitting our shores on January 1st 2009, and Part Two following seven weeks later on February 20th. Why such a gap I don't know, especially as Soderbergh expressed a desire for them to be released at the same time, so people could see all four hours in one go if they wished. I guess anyone wanting to do that will just have to wait for the DVD. To be honest, it's not that epic a running time; certainly not on DVD. I've watched all three extended Lord of the Rings films in one day -- that is an epic.

Anyway, here's the UK Che poster:

Click to enlarge

The technically-minded part of me wonders, "will they be called Che: Part One and Che: Part Two on screen, or retain the original, different titles on each half (still listed on IMDb)?" It hardly matters, but that's more likely to persuade me to fork out £7 (total) to go see them than their actual contents. Unless they win Oscars, in which case that reason edges into the lead.

Just.

No comments: