Sunday 15 February 2009

Poetry

The Puffin Book of Nonsense Verse, selected by Quentin Blake
"Speak Roughly to Your Little Boy"
"Department of Facts and Queries"
"I Wish I Were a Jelly Fish"
"Sticky Ends"
"Distracting Creatures"
"A Gamut of Achievements" [the end]

As promised, here are a selection of my favourites from the 127 poems included in this anthology:

  • Typo by Russell Hoban -- probably my favourite
  • Eletelephony by Laura Richards
  • The Purist by Ogden Nash
  • S F by Ernest Leverett
  • How I Brought the Good News From Aix to Ghent or, Vice Versa by W.C. Sellar & R.J. Yeatman
  • One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night (anonymous)
  • I Went to the Pictures Tomorrow (playground rhyme)
  • Brother and Sister by Lewis Carroll
  • Fame Was a Claim of Uncle Ed's by Ogden Nash -- helluva name
  • O'er Seas That Have No Beaches by Mervyn Peake
  • A Chronicle (anonymous)
  • Politeness by Harry Graham
  • Scientific Proof by J.W. Foley
  • Waste by Harry Graham.

  • While we're here -- not only, but also:

  • I Saw a Peacock (anonymous) -- but only once I realised how it was constructed
  • Belagcholly Days (anonymous) -- very clever
  • Bleezer's Ice Cream by Jack Prelutsky
  • Minnow Minnie by Shel Silverstein
  • Some Aunts and Uncles by Mervyn Peake
  • The Ahkond of Swat by Edward Lear
  • The Willow-tree by William Makepeace Thackeray
  • Capacity by John Updike
  • Planting a Mailbox by John Updike
  • The Cod by Lord Alfred Douglas
  • Kitty by Colin West
  • Simple Simon (anonymous)
  • and Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll -- of course.
  • No comments: