Sunday 1 March 2009

Music

While I was listening to these two for the first time last night, I shared my thoughts track-by-track on twitter. Here are the highlights (I use that word loosely).

Watchmen: Music From the Motion Picture
  • My Chemical Romance - Desolation Row: Never listened to MCR, so no idea if this is typical of them.
  • Nat King Cole - Unforgettable: "Varied" is too light a word for this soundtrack.
  • Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin': Can't wait to see this sequence -- even those who hated the film have been praising it.
  • Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence: Always loved this song. It's like an old friend among unfamiliar tracks.
  • K.C. & the Sunshine Band - I'm Your Boogie Man: Will the Watchmen go disco dancing? I fear we can but dream.
  • Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower: Will be intrigued to see how well this works in the film.
  • Budapest Symphony Orchestra - Ride of the Valkyries: Mmm, Wagner. Watchmen will have to go some way to beat Apocalypse Now's use of this.
  • Nina Simone - Pirate Jenny: Not actually from Watchmen; from Tales of the Black Freighter. Which will be part of Watchmen eventually. Seems very apt -- kinda odd, creepy. This song is brilliant. Wins the Best Track I'd Not Heard Before Award for this soundtrack, I think.

  • Watchmen: Original Motion Picture Score by Tyler Bates
  • 1) Rescue Mission: I'm guessing this OST is out of order, which sucks -- I hate it when soundtracks do that. Actiony opener.
  • 3) Tonight the Comedian Died: Now THIS is the beginning. Creepy, throbbing -- a Rorschach-based cue then!
  • 6) You Quit!: The shortest track on the CD. More memorable -- kinda Blade Runner-y, very '80s feel. Shame it's so short.
  • 8) The American Dream: Slow, remorseful -- nice bit of irony in the title then.
  • 11) Prison Fight: Clearly the showpiece track, as was B-side on single of Desolation Row. VERY VERY like Bates' 300 score.
  • 12) Just Look Around You: Can guess where it's from & wager works beautifully. Nice contrast to tr11.
  • 13) Dan's Apocalyptic Dream: Clue's in the title. Typically nightmare-ish, doesn't really deliver on its own build up
  • 17) Countdown: In bursts, a great 'time is running out' track -- and, of course, time does run out. Suitably apocalyptic close.
  • 19) All That is Good: Uncertain exactly what we'll see during this, but it may be a perfect marriage
  • Not sure of stand-out tracks on Bates' score, but mostly quite good I thought. Can't tell 'til see in context.

  • As I said, full comments on every track from both CDs is available on my twitter -- you'll just have to dive into the archive to find them.

    No comments: