Saturday 25 April 2009

Music

Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses
I got this album as a free legal digital download around Christmastime, when Amazon UK briefly (as in, for one day) offered a free MP3 album to anyone who wanted it. But this is why I usually avoid paid-for downloads: if it were a CD I'd've listened to it more-or-less immediately; as a download, I forgot about it for four months.

Despite years (literally) of anticipation, it managed to receive fairly good reviews on release (at least, that was my impression -- I don't really follow music reviews/journalism) and I can see why. Whereas some good albums require a listen or two to get into, much of Chinese Democracy is instantly likable. It's not a revolutionary step in GnR's output, but if this is your kind of music then it's enjoyable.

Stand-out tracks (after a listen and a half) were:
  • Shackler's Revenge
  • Better
  • There Was a Time
  • Scraped
  • I.R.S.
  • Madagascar

  • I don't think the last one has anything to do with the films.

    As a Queen fan, I'd also like to point out that one track, Catcher in the Rye, may or may not feature guitarist Brian May -- a leaked 1999 version did, but apparently the CD doesn't credit him.

    No comments: