Wednesday 3 June 2009

Games

Sam & Max: Season One
Episode 1: Culture Shock

I honestly can't remember the last time I played a computer game that wasn't something like Tetris or Solitaire. But I used to love adventure games and I've had this for a while, and with a new Monkey Island (always my favourite series) on its way next month, it's time to get back into the habit. Plus, as I have a Mac these days, I needed to get Windows running on here so I can play the darned thing. And I've managed it, though it's depressingly slow.

As for the game itself, it's a lot of fun -- which bodes well for the new Monkey Island as these are the guys behind that too. I really like this model of gaming -- a series of standalone chapters/episodes released over five or six months -- because it allows the more casual player to dip in and out, or effectively pay in installments, as well as allowing for a variety of stories to be told without the game seeming disjointed. Also, one of the reasons it works here is because each episode is a decent length -- at least, if you go round looking at everything and exploring every conversation path, which I always do because of all the good lines you can find tucked away in them. Certainly, I didn't complete this chapter in one sitting, and assuming they're all the same length that means a decent full-game-length amount of playability across all six chapters.

A success, then, which means I'm even more excited for Tales of Monkey Island...

No comments: