Saturday 12 September 2009

Music

The Resistance by Muse

Muse's new album, out Monday over here, but thanks to hmv.com's speediness I have it today (hurrah!)

I've avoided listening to any of this 'til I got the album, so despite early track releases, a single last week and televised live gigs featuring some of the tracks, I'd not heard any of it until now. Some of the hype was warranted: album opener and first single Uprising is a stompingly great number, perhaps the disc's best track, though it would have to be run a close second by the Queen-alike United States of Eurasia. Unnatural Selection and Undisclosed Desires also felt strong to me, especially after a couple of listens, as did a lot of the rest that felt likable but oddly lacklustre initially.

However, most hyped of all were the closing tracks, a three-part symphony entitled Exogenesis. So praised are these that some reviews have resorted to giving the album two scores -- one for the whole work, and a higher one just for Exogenesis. Maybe it's a grower, because I found it interesting but middling. A shame, because I often like the pomp of such grand exercises.

Still, I've already listened to the whole CD a couple of times through -- more than I do for most albums so quickly -- and I'm sure I will more, but it's not yet a Black Holes & Revelations-beater as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: