Saturday 26 June 2010

Doctor Who 31x13: The Big Bang

Just some quick initial thoughts. Normally these would go in today's TV post but they looked a little unwieldy, so...

While I did like last week's part one, I think I enjoyed that even more. Plot threads left dangling for next season, yes, but that's a good thing. And the promise we'll find out all about River soon... well, I still don't like her that much, but at least we should get answers.

Favourite parts: Rory! Yay for Rory! Always liked Rory. Love a three-person TARDIS crew, so I'm ever so glad he seems to be sticking around. Full name-in-opening-titles status next season, please. Also liked the wedding speech to bring the Doctor & TARDIS back into existence -- clever use of a well-known phrase + long-established Who history.

And the Stone Dalek was at least 100 times cooler than the multi-coloured plasticky regular new ones.

My one major disappointment, however: that the Doctor gave up on the rewind at The Eleventh Hour. What a perfect opportunity for a Greatest Hits of all ten Doctors! Considering we've seen them more than usual this season (especially William Hartnell), it seemed a golden opportunity. Oh well.

Still, a good, epic season finale, with a nice ending... even if it was missing a substantial Christmas special tease.

1 comment:

Arnold The Fish said...

Agreed with the Rory sentiments, and the three-person crew.

I don't think they've started filming the Xmas special yet, so the lack of a proper teaser makes sense.

Fezzes are cool!

Wasn't really disappointed that they stopped the rewind. Going further wouldn't add to the story, and frankly unless they were going to dodgily superimpose Matt into random scenes from old episodes ("Oh I remember this... this is when I fought the Nimon! Good grief, they look ridiculous.") then I don't think it'd be much more than a rehash of the well-done sequence in The Eleventh Hour.


Loved the rewind to Flesh and Stone though. I'd already spotted the jacket-wearing discrepancy (and notably different attitude) in the original episode, so I was waiting for something like this to happen. Was looking forward to see how and what exactly would happen though.

Also, why can't I leave anonymous/made up names as comments anymore? Logging in is such a pain, and it's not as though anybody else ever comments.