Friday 19 August 2011

Fiction

Torchwood: First Born by James Goss
Pages 211-251 [the end]

I didn't start reading this until the second one arrived, but I've finished it as the third one lands on my doormat -- read it at about the right speed, then. Now I just need to completely self-motivate myself to read the next two. Oh dear...

Anyway, as for the end of this one... It turned out quite good, I think. The friendly-alien-explorers, humans-are-actually-the-nasty-ones stuff is hardly revelatory (I'm sure Torchwood has done it before, never mind science fiction in general), but it works well enough. A decent enough tie-in novel, then.

I think the next two could be more interesting in their role as Miracle Day prequels, though. Here we have the only surviving Torchwood member and her Torchwood-member-in-all-but-name hubby solving a Torchwood-y case -- very tie-in-novel-normal, and barely at all connected to Miracle Day. Book two, however, features some minor supporting character dealing with some Torchwood-y clean-up -- will that have anything to do with Miracle Day either? How much do we need to learn about the remains of the Hub, the remains of Suzie Costello (who I thought had been completely dealt with ages ago), and the activities of PC Andy (assuming he's in it all that much -- he's not mentioned in the plot outline)? Could be an odd'un.

And then the third book stars Rex... who'd never heard of Torchwood before Miracle Day episode one and was just a regular CIA agent (it seemed), not versed in extraterrestrial-type cases. And Jack apparently didn't know him in Miracle Day either, so it's not likely to turn out to be some Retcon-fuelled business. Most intriguing how they'll work round that, I think -- could be an odd'un also. Whether that's a good or bad thing for either book, I don't know...

No comments: