Sunday 24 June 2012

this week on 100 Films

Two new reviews were posted to 100 Films in a Year this week, and they were...

The Man from Earth (2007)
what one might call Proper Science Fiction. Most films classed as sci-fi just feature aliens or what have you; they’re space opera, or just action movies where Americans fight off-planet enemies instead of out-of-country enemies; the kind of thing Ray Bradbury termed fantasy rather than sci-fi. Instead of Shooting And Blowing Up Stuff, or even comedy antics with a twist, The Man from Earth deals in Ideas.
Read more on my new blog or my classic blog.

The Scarlet Claw (1944)
it really is a horror movie too. There’s not just the elements of occult in the myth of the Canadian town Holmes and Watson find themselves in almost by chance, but also the way the production is staged... [Roy William Neill's] direction is incredibly atmospheric, from a wonderful mist-covered opening scene, replete with an incessantly tolling bell, to regular instances of shadow-drenched photography afterwards
Read more on my new blog or my classic blog.

Tonight sees the UK terrestrial TV premiere of Up in the Air (9pm BBC Two), so I've also added my review from last year to my new blog. You can read it here. (It should be there, anyway. If it isn't, it'll be at that link later today.)

More next Sunday.

No comments: