Friday 30 September 2011

Comics

Aquaman #1 by Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis
Another book I read digitally but now intend to buy in print and get at least an issue or two more of. More thoughts when I do my end-of-issue-1s wrap-up, soon (I know they're all out, but I haven't received all of mine yet). For some detailed thoughts, there's always CBR's review.

Daredevil #3 by Mark Waid & Paolo Rivera
Slightly damp squib of an ending. At least it explains who that villain is, but that means pages and pages of exposition-fuelled nattering. The final fight on a busy road sounds a good, visually dynamic idea, but I felt there was little sense of where the fight was taking place -- it may as well have been down an alley or something. Still, the closing pages, and the new setup for how Matt can defend people without being in court, work well. The CBR review has the complete opposite view on the book's two halves, however. I take their point about a sound-based villain being a perfect idea for a Daredevil story, but I didn't care for how he was used.
Also this issue, in commemoration of the tenth anniversary of 9/11 is a strip called Moment of Truth by Bill Jemas and Mark Bagley, based on the story of a Marvel employee's father, excerpted from a previous collection. It's a moving tale told without words. Great tribute.

No comments: