Sunday 14 July 2013

Films

Akira (1988)
[2nd watch]

I'm not sure when I first (and last) watched Akira, but it's somewhere in the region of 10 or more years ago. I didn't really get it then -- I thought it had some impressive visuals but was otherwise overhyped -- and, truth be told, I didn't completely understand the ending now (does anyone?)

However, I found the rest of the film a lot more followable, and I liked it a lot more for that. The animation is still stunning, so is the sound (watched in Japanese rather than English this time out), and I'm sure it has much to say if you want to read into it. Even as just an out-there sci-fi movie centred around the friendship between two outcasts, though, it has plenty going for it.


The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)
[#62 in 100 Films in a Year 2013]

No comments: