Saturday 21 May 2022

Games

The Curse of Monkey Island

On to #3! The forthcoming Return will be a direct sequel to #2, so arguably I should've stopped there; but they've also said it doesn't erase #3–5 from canon, and definitely features characters and/or elements from those later sequels, so my plan is to just go ahead and play them all.

As for how long this one takes to complete (vs. the 6 hours it took me to finish each of the first two this time round), the save games don't have a timer here, so I'm keeping track of it myself. Therefore, I also have no idea which percentage I've (supposedly) completed. I'm into Part Two already, though, after just over an hour playing. That said, it feels like this game has to be longer — there's lots more stuff to look at, each with its own description (rather than the generic "nice" that was trotted out so often in MI2), and tonnes of dialogue options in every conversation; plus, really lengthy cut scenes. Unless the game itself is very short (which I don't remember it being), this has to have a longer playtime. (For what it's worth, a site I found called HowLongToBeat says the first two take 6½–7½ hours, while Curse takes 8–9½, so I may well be correct.)

Big aside...
I've not included re-play counts on these (like I do for film or TV rewatches) because the first two were Special Editions and it was the first time I'd played those remakes. But also, I'm really not sure how many times I've played any of these. The first two, at least twice each before these recent plays; Curse, I really can't remember if I only ever played it once or if I went back sometime. Looking ahead, I also can't remember if I only played Escape once or more (I feel like I did replay it at some point). I only become certain with the fifth game, Tales of Monkey Island, which was released in chapters, and I clearly remember only playing Chapter One. Plus, it's archived on this blog if I had forgotten.

No comments: