Sunday 2 May 2021

Collection Count

Collection Count tracks my DVD/Blu-ray collection via a number of statistics every week.

This week's biggest release, in just about every sense, is Arrow's 4K box set of Battle Royale, which includes the sequel on regular Blu-ray. I already own Arrow's previous Blu-ray release of BR from over a decade ago, and shamefully have never watched it. This new set should replace that, but the old one has a couple of physical extras that have gone walkabout from the new edition, and it's rather nice in and of itself, so I'm loathe to part with it. I also own both films on DVD and I really should get rid of them now; indeed, I'm not sure why I didn't just get rid of my DVD of the first film last time. It's going now. But my DVD of the second edition comes in a limited edition tin, and so, as a limited edition in fancy packaging, I am once again loathe to say goodbye to it. Sometimes I think I need help...

Speaking of which, I gave in and bought the pretty Curzon Artificial Eye Bong Joon-Ho box set a lot of people have been chatting about. This is now the third edition of Parasite I own, and the second editions for Parasite: Black & White, The Host, and Snowpiercer. That leaves three films in the set I don't have, although none have special features, which bugs me, especially as two of them (Mother and Memories of Murder) have been released in English-friendly editions with extras. Why the hell did I buy it, then? Well, three films I don't own at all isn't that bad a hit rate; this edition of Parasite does have a couple of extras I don't own elsewise; and the transfer of Memories of Murder has a better colour palette than the Criterion edition... although I'd still like to pick that up sometime for its special features.

Yeah, maybe I do need help...

Number of titles in collection: 2,591 [up 4]
Of which DVDs: 1,073 [down 2]
Of which Blu-rays: 1,518 [up 6]
— of which Ultra HD Blu-rays: 101 [up 1]

Number of discs in collection: 6,581 [up 12]
Number of films: 3,012 [up 10]
Number of additional cuts: 221 [up 4]
Number of TV episodes: 9,075 [down 5]
Number of short films: 854 [no change]

Oh, and after all that, it's also time for the monthly running time update...

Total running time of collection (approx.):
476 days, 13 hours, and 41 minutes.
(Up 2 days, 17 hours, and 8 minutes from last month.)

See you next week, faithful reader.

No comments: