Friday 9 December 2011

A daily dose of sci-fi - Day 26

Best battle scene

I kinda feel this ought to be a big ol' space battle, like that one in Serenity or something, but I can't think of many that immediately jump out at me, so I guess this becomes "best battle/fight/action scene", and I offer up this one:


I love a good movie sword fight, but unsurprisingly these are few and far between in sci-fi movies. Except for Star Wars.

For all the prequels' flaws -- and they are many -- the one thing they have over the original trilogy are the lightsaber duels. Whereas the first three films largely feature actors bumping some sticks together a bit, the prequels feature fully choreographed fights that are properly exciting to watch.

The best of these is at the climax of Episode I, when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan take on Darth Maul (there's a bunch of Fantasy names if ever you saw them) and his infamous double-ended lightsaber. It is, as I said, fully choreographed and properly exciting, and just about everything you dreamed a lightsaber battle should be ever since you were a kid.

Some may argue there are better duels later in the prequel trilogy. Maybe, but this is the first one that showed what a lightsaber duel really could be, and this is the one that sticks in the memory.

And it's nice there's something to like about the prequels, eh?


Read about a daily dose of sci-fi, with links to the rest of the series, here.

No comments: