Sunday 22 January 2012

this week on 100 Films

This week I forgot I'd snuck The Spider Woman in on Sunday, so not as many reviews as I'd intended. That said, there were still 2 new reviews posted to 100 Films in a Year this week, and they were...

Hotel for Dogs (2009)
Judged as simply a movie, on its story and its characters and all that regular palaver, I can see why Hotel for Dogs attracts so many poor scores. But as a kids' film I think it works well enough, and as a delivery system for cute dogs I loved it. I don’t think I’ve ever “aww”ed so much in a single film. Yep, I’ve gone all soft.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)
this entry jumps back in time several hundred years for an origin of sorts, fleshing out flashbacks and backstory from the first two films. Unfortunately, we learnt pretty much all we needed to know in those flashbacks, and so in terms of both story and world-building Rise of the Lycans has little to add to the Underworld franchise.

More next Sunday.

No comments: