Saturday 2 May 2020

Collection Count

Collection Count tracks my DVD/Blu-ray collection via a number of statistics every week.

This week's additions include another classic season of Doctor Who on Blu-ray, which replaces some of my DVDs but not all (due to missing special features, titles in box sets, etc). At some point this series of re-releases is going to start including that missing stuff, and it'll swing from "upgrading fewer DVDs than it should" to "upgrading more DVDs than it should". That'll be nice. I also got the complete Samurai Jack on Blu-ray, so together they marked a big increase on the TV episode count.

Also this week: 3-for-£30 4K UHD titles, so the Ultra HD tally jumps up a bit. Two were upgrades: one from DVD (American Gangster), one from Blu-ray (Gladiator), but I'm keeping the original Blu-ray for the time being because it's in a digibook. I really ought to read that book and see if it's worth keeping...

Number of titles in collection: 2,360 [up 4]
Of which DVDs: 1,105 [down 3]
Of which Blu-rays: 1,255 [up 7]
— of which Ultra HD Blu-rays: 51 [up 3]

Number of discs in collection: 6,117 [up 20]
Number of films: 2,764 [up 6]
Number of TV episodes: 8,887 [up 80]
Number of short films: 720 [up 1]

Those UHD titles also highlighted a dilemma I struggle with regularly, because both contain theatrical and extended cuts of the movie. Does that count as one film each or two? Some would say one, because the different cuts are alternatives, not different films. On the other hand, on a list of "films I have to watch" I would list both cuts, because they're different, so that count should include them, right? Often these days I side a bit more with the former, but in the past I've done the latter, and now my film count is a mess of contradicting points of view. It's finally gotten to me enough that I'm going to add a "cuts" column next to the "films" one, kind of like how Blu-ray.com will list a release as having "1 movie, 2 cuts". It'll take a lot of work (I'll have to go through all 2,360 titles and figure them out), but it might be worth it in the long run.

Of course, that still doesn't settle how I should count it for the running time -- all cuts or just one? Eesh. Oh, and what about TV shows with multiple variants of some episodes? Arrgh...

See you next week, faithful reader.

No comments: