Saturday 24 September 2022

Games

Return to Monkey Island

And that's the end! A good ending too, I thought. I can immediately see it'll be controversial with some people, but I don't think we should really have expected anything too different (not that I'm saying we should've guessed this, exactly, but it seems in-keeping). Plus, when put alongside The Matrix Resurrections, I feel like there are finally some legacy sequels giving me the kind of things I've long wanted a legacy sequel to attempt. Love that.

Wish I knew exactly how long the game had taken me. It's my own fault for going back and replaying segments before I'd finished it through once! I got to the end in just under 15 hours, per Steam, but that includes replaying the very end three times, not to mention all the earlier replaying.

And after that, I played for another two hours to hit the final few achievements I missed. A big chunk of that was hunting around for the last few trivia cards; another was that I had to replay a whole swathe of the game because I didn't have any appropriately-placed savegames to quickly pull off something. One of the downsides to the game only allowing 8 save points (plus that, for this particular accomplishment, you need to do something in Part 2 or 3 that doesn't pay off until Part 5, meaning I had to replay the end of Part 3 and all of Part 4; but I initially realised that a little way into Part 4, so if I'd had more savegames I could've just repeated a little bit then instead of a whole part later. Hey ho).

So, I've got 38 out of the 39 achievements. The only one I'm missing is a speed run (completed in under 2 hours). I've never seen the point in speed running point-and-click adventures — story and humour are the goal of the genre, not racing through the puzzles as fast as possible. But as it's the only one I'm missing... and you can do it on Casual Mode, which I haven't played... Maybe...

No comments: