Monday 24 October 2011

Comics

Batman and Robin #2 by Peter J. Tomasi & Patrick Gleason
This series is becoming increasingly reliant on the past. I'm sure that's great for long-term readers, but it's not so good as part of (what's supposed to be) a line-wide new-reader-friendly re-launch. I coped with the first issue because I'm vaguely aware of some recent events in the Batman comics universe; this issue, it's really pushing my limit. We'll see how it goes -- I'll stick with it because nasty little git Damien, Bruce Wayne's son, is an interesting (if annoying) loose cannon.

Justice League #2 by Geoff Johns & Jim Lee
It's been a long wait for the second issue of DC's new flagship title -- nearly two months since #1! -- but critics found it worth the wait: after notoriously underwhelming reviews for that first issue, the follow-up has received much better notices. Personally, I enjoyed the first issue, and felt this one maintained the very good standard.

Resurrection Man #2 by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning & Fernando Dagnino
While this is still solid, all told I'm not as keen on it as the first issue. Resurrection Man is, I believe, the return of a long-dead series (oh irony), which makes it difficult to know if it's building on stuff from before or kicking off whole new mysteries. Considering the bafflement of the main character, hopefully things will get explained eventually, either way.

No comments: