Sunday 16 October 2011

this week on 100 Films

2 new reviews were posted to 100 Films in a Year this week, and they were...

Cameraman: The Life & Work of Jack Cardiff (2010)
My overriding memory of the documentary is of a slew of beautiful-looking films, some well known and others not, but every one jumping onto want-to-see lists thanks to what’s shown here. Which just demonstrates how deserving Cardiff and his work are of a dedicated feature film of this quality.

Sucker Punch: Extended Cut (2011)
had I seen Sucker Punch in cinemas, would I feel the same way I do now? Would those big omissions have obscured the thematic depth I believe is there? To put it another way, how much do the changes really add? ... I do think Sucker Punch has been underrated. It’s not the masterpiece I hoped it might be when I first noticed the themes Snyder was (consciously or not) tapping in to, but do I think it’s a lot better and more interesting than most gave it credit for.

More next Sunday.

No comments: