Tuesday 15 November 2011

Comics

Animal Man #3 by Jeff Lemire & Travel Foreman

Lemire's story continues to be excellent, balancing Buddy and his daughter inside The Red with a substantial storyline for his wife and son out in the 'real world'. This role for Buddy's family remains Animal Man's strongest point, in my opinion, and based on the plot I imagine it's going to stay that way -- there are certainly some interesting developments this issue.

Foreman's art I'm less sure of. It's disgusting -- I mean, it's meant to be, but wow those beasts and deformed people are horrid. I don't know much about the comics rating system but I'm surprised this passes for Teen+ -- surely there's a Mature category, and this belongs in it? Nonetheless, while it's not pleasant, it's at least meant to be; but as the issue goes on I get the sense the art's becoming hurried -- there are less detailed backgrounds, a much less clean style (one of the defining characteristics in the first issue, I'd say), a kind of grubbiness that suggests it's not been tidied up. Maybe it's deliberate, but the fact it seems to slide throughout the issue also makes me wonder if he's struggling with DC's newly strict deadlines.


Batman and Robin #3 by Peter J. Tomasi & Patrick Gleason
I found the first two issues of this to be middling, but I felt it hit its stride a bit more here. That might just be because, after two issues leaning on the crutch of backstory, this builds on that a little more. Still certainly not the best Batman book, but I enjoyed it.

Detective Comics #3 by Tony S. Daniel
Still going fairly strong, this one. Not as great as Batman is turning out to be, but a good tale nonetheless -- being "the second best Batman book" when there are four on the market isn't too bad.

Resurrection Man #3 by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning & Fernando Dagnino
After the slight blip of the second issue, really enjoyed this one again -- putting its great core concept to inventive use. And an excellent cliffhanger, calling back to a throwaway line from issue 2. Wonderful.

No comments: