Sunday 11 December 2011

A daily dose of sci-fi - Day 28

A great sci-fi B-movie

I haven't seen many B-movies, those cheap '40s/'50s/etc films knocked out during the studio era to fill out cinema schedules, notorious for their so-bad-they're-good-ness. I feel I should've seen more. But when there are so many good films to watch...

Anyway, this is a complete and utter cheat, but tough.


It's a tribute to the B-movie rather than a B-movie in its own right, but that's the best I can do.

It's wonderful for all sorts of reasons, but as this is meant to be about B-movies I'll mention some of those elements, because it's littered with them right from the start. I mean, if you were in any doubt, the opening song highlights it: Science Fiction Double Feature. It's there in the name, never mind the lyrics.

Then there's the Ordinary American Small-Town Couple who Get Lost In The Woods At Night, going to the Big Mysterious Mansion for help, where they find it's Full Of Weirdos who are conducting A Crazy Scientific Experiment, and it all goes loopy and Changes Them Forever, and there's a climax with Ray Guns and Aliens Who Look Like Humans, and no doubt all kinds of other things where I could capitalise every first letter and make it look like a widely-acknowledged trend. (I can't be bothered to surf through all of tv tropes for the real ones, but I bet all of these -- and more -- are on there.)

So no, it's not a B-movie. But it's the best homage to them there is. And if you've never even seen a proper B-movie, it's still rollicking good fun.


Read about a daily dose of sci-fi, with links to the rest of the series, here.

No comments: