Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Technology

Steam Machine

Thirteen months since getting my Steam Deck, ten months since it was announced, and three months since they let you join a list to buy one, I've finally got my hands on a Steam Machine.

And, like when I got my Deck, I don't really have time to play with it right now, but I did unbox it and set it up, so that was... fun, in its own way. The games I most want to use it for are ones that are a bit too much for my Deck to run, which tends to mean they're big downloads, so the chances of me playing anything tonight anyway were always slim — even now, it's still downloading the two I most wanted to get on there. It's fundamentally a more powerful Steam Deck, anyhow, so the experience was all very familiar.

And I haven't got it completely set up yet (I need to install Decky, and Heroic, and RetroDECK, and move over some games I'd added by other means that I was intending to play docked, and prettify my library like I have on Deck), so there's still hours of fun to be had getting it 'working'. Maybe I'll even play games on it at some point!

No comments: